Climate crisis not America’s fight alone, but global one: Biden

Washington, Apr 29 (PTI):
President Joe Biden has said that the climate crisis is not America’s fight alone, but a global one as he asserted that he pushed for the US to meet its international obligations to slow the impact of climate change.
“The climate crisis is not our fight alone, either. It’s a global fight,” Biden said in his first speech to a joint session of Congress.
He said that the United States accounts for less than 15 per cent of carbon emissions while the rest of the world accounts for 85 per cent. “That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement on my first day in office,” he said. While former president Barack Obama signed the Paris Climate Accord his successor Donald Trump pulled the US out, calling it unfair to American coal miners and the energy industry. Biden has rejoined the landmark accord soon after assuming office in January.
Under the Paris agreement, each country has to set its own emission-reduction targets, known as national determined contributions and the pact’s goal was to limit global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button